| Vigo was inhabited by Castrenses and Romans. It suffered the attacks from the sea of the English pirates and also had to fight on land against the French. The arrival of the Catalans developed the industry of the city, which has grown since its foundation. At the end of the 16th century, the town had 868 inhabitants, which had risen to 15,000 in the last years of the 19th.
In Vigo the Romanising process was very early and intense. Archaeological remains indicate a considerable port and commercial activity on the coast from the 2nd century bc., with a progressive Romanising process developing, which was consolidated during the 1st century AD, once Roman peace had been established.
Like many other places in the State, Vigo was occupied by French army in 1809. The popular resistance to this invasion caused an uprising that ended with an assault on the walls and the expulsion of the Gallic soldiers. This episode rewarded Vigo with the title of Faithful, Loyal, Brave City.
In 1833 the royal road was conditioned that leads to Madrid, known as the road to Castile of Villacastín. A year later, the construction work was completed on the Colegiata by Melchor de Prado, as the former temple had been destroyed in one of the numerous sackings suffered by the town. In the middle of the century, the Bank of Spain subsidiary and the new stone dock were built. The city grew and its governors decide to demolish the walls to allow it to expand.
The second half of the 19th century was a period of continuous growth in the city, caused, amongst other things, by the increase in the relationship with America. From 1855 periodical sea communication services were set up with La Habana, Buenos Aires and Puerto Rico.
What you must not miss:
• Santa María Cathedral
• Pazo de Pastora
• La Soledad Church
• Cristo de la Victoria
• Puerta del Atlántico
• La Ermita de A Guía