| The city of Santander has its origin in the former Roman Portus Victorae, as shown by the numerous archaeological remains that have appeared in the Península de la Magdalena.
The name of Santander does not appear in writings until 1068, and achieved the title of ‘villa’ in 1187. Thanks to the royal privileges and the considerable commercial activity in the port of Santander, it had a time of splendour that continued until the 15th century, with a growth in population structured around two centres: the Old Town and the New Town.
The plague in 1497 and the successive epidemics took away over half of the population, which would take a long time to recover.
With the opening of sea lines to America at the end of the 18th century and the establishment of a large bourgeoisie, the city recovered its splendour and became the provincial capital.
What you must not miss:
• Menendez Pelayo Library and Museum-House
• Santander Cathedral
• La Anunciación church
• La Esperanza market
• Cantabrico Maritime Museum
• Fine Arts Municipal Museum